How to Resolve a Speeding Ticket or Other Infraction

Speeding tickets and other moving violations are not just an annoyance; they can negatively affect your driving record and automobile insurance rates. Many people pay infractions and don’t contest or exercise their right to seek alternative resolutions of their tickets. The most common reasons are because they don’t feel that they can beat the ticket, they don’t want to miss time from work or family, or they’re intimidated about appearing and speaking in court.

How to Resolve a Speeding Ticket by Attorney Patrick MoriartyWhen you’ve been cited with an infraction, you have three options to resolve a speeding ticket.

Option 1: Pay. Your first option is simply to pay the infraction. Although that might seem like the most efficient method, it might not be the best—especially if it results in increased auto insurance rates.

Option 2: Seek a Mitigation Hearing. If you request a mitigation hearing, you’re admitting that you committed the infraction (violation), but are seeking a reduction in the fine. Again, although this might be a better choice than simply paying the full fine, it still could have negative consequences on your insurance.

Option 3: Request a Contested Hearing. If you exercise your right to request a contested hearing, you are seeking to have the infraction dismissed and prevent it from appearing on your driving record. To resolve a ticket, this option is usually the best.

An experienced attorney is the best choice when seeking to contest a speeding ticket or moving violation. An attorney can evaluate the facts of your case and recommend the best course for trying to beat the ticket. The resolution could result in the dismissal of the charge or an amendment to a non-moving violation that will not raise your insurance rates.

In addition, a lawyer familiar with court rules dealing with infractions often can prevent a moving violation from appearing on your driving record and negatively affecting your insurance—most often without you needing to appear in court at the hearing.

So if you find yourself at the receiving end of a ticket, consult with an experienced Washington State infraction attorney before paying.

Attorney Patrick M. Moriarty earned his Juris Doctorate from Western New England College School of Law in 1990. He is the founder of Moriarty & Associates, PLLC, and serves as a judge pro tempore in district and municipal courts in Snohomish County. Learn more.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *